ORWELL PARK SCHOOL LINK WITH
On the 8 May 1944 the armoured regiments and supporting vehicles of the 7th Armoured Division moved out of High Ash Camp Thetford Forest and proceeded by road to the concentration area in the grounds of Orwell Park School where waterproofing of the tanks and other preparations for the invasion of Normandy were completed, while lorries and other soft vehicles of the division went to Tilbury Docks to be loaded on to ships ready to follow the armoured regiments to Normandy. On the 3 June 1944 all the tanks moved by road to Felixstowe Docks where they were loaded on to LCT's (Landing Craft Tanks) and sailed for Normandy on the 5 June 1944.
In September 2001 the Head Master, Mr. Andrew Auster and the Board of Governors decided to honour the association of Orwell Park School with the Desert Rats by installing a commemorative plaque in the school grounds and invite surviving veterans to the school to celebrate the inauguration of the plaque. Since the inauguration, veterans have been invited back to the school on each anniversary as guests of the staff and pupils. The photographs below are for the get together on the 11 September 2004 and a jolly good time was had by all particularly the veterans.
Display of Veteran Armoured Vehicles-Sherman & Stuart Tanks
Veterans-Guests-Staff at lunch
School Catering Staff who prepared all the food for the day, normally it would not be quite so busy.
Veteran Mustangs Fighter Aircraft in a fly past over the school.
Silver Bird Machine Beep Bop Dancers part of the entertainment provided by the school
1RTR Piper Jason Sumner playing the last post
|Open Days Page||2003 Open Day|
|2004 Open Day||2006 Open Day||2007 Open Day||2008 Open Day|
|2009 Open day||2010 Open Day||2011 Open day||2012 Open Day|
|2013 Open Day||2014 Open Day||2015 Open Day||2016 Open Day|
|2017 Open Day|
|Orwell Park 2010||Orwell Park 2016||Orwell Park 2017|
|Home Page||Contents page|